Beautiful People #21: September Edition



Hello again. My longish silence was due to the end of summer and ensuing great busyness. I will attempt to post more often, but I foresee much busyness in the future, so you may have to wait a while for regular posts until probably about maybe Thanksgiving or Christmas. Anyway, besides freaking out about the fact that NaNoWriMo begins in about 2 months--thank you, Cait, for that reminder--I am participating this month's Beautiful People hosted by her and Skye. If you'd like join Beautiful People, or learn more about it, check out the links here, here, and here.

I was looking at past Beautiful People posts, and I realized that I have never done one for Nor by herself, but I have done one for Eli, so I figured, as Nor is one of my major characters, especially in Shattered Glass, I should give you a bit more information about her.

1. How did you come up with this character?
She kind of formed originally as a minor character to explain why Eli knew the less well-off parts of town, but she gained more importance and influence as my writing went on. She changed names, as well--it was originally Hesi, which means snake. Her current name, Norayan, means 'black bird'.

2. Have they ever been starving? Why? And what did they use to break the fast?
Yes, when she was a runaway as a very young woman, trying to survive as she sought asylum in Kaltewirin. The first time she had actual meal in a long time; after gaining asylum, she ate, or rather, was given a vegetable broth with bits of meat and vegetables that had been cooked until they fell apart.

3. Do they have a talent or skill they're proud of?
Nor is really, really good at figuring out how to use opportunities to her or someone else's advantage. That's why she was able to create a network and start her business only months after she was granted asylum and became a citizen of Kaltewirin.

4. List three things that would make them lose their temper
People being jerks. Her best friend and love not taking care of herself. People lying to her.

5. What is their favorite type of weather? Least favorite?
Her favorite type of weather are dry, breezy, sunny, and warm days. Her least favorite are basically any winter day, especially when it's snowing. Luckily, Elfhame, the capital of Kaltewirin, where she lives, is in an area that has fairly mild winters with barely ever snow.

6. What is their Hogwarts house and/or MBTI personality?
Nor is a Hufflepuff with Gryffindor and Ravenclaw tendencies.

7. Are they more likely to worry about present problems, or freak out about the unknown future?
Nor is a business owner, so she is very aware that small, present problems can snowball into bigger ones in the future if not fixed right away, so she's more likely to worry about those present problems.

8. What is their favorite thing to drink?
This is a slight spoiler, since I mention it in the beginning of Shattered Glass, but since the book is still in the working stages and it could change, I'll mention it here. Nor's favorite drink is nightshade wine, a popular one in her country of origin. It's a wine made out of  heavily fermented iolisol nightshade berries--a non-poisonous kind that only exists in Orthion--that is very, very sweet and slightly acidic. It's also extremely strong--but kymeraa drink even stronger ones, so they consider it a drink for teenagers and older children (theirs is diluted slightly). Nor always keeps a few bottles in her wine cellar.

9. What's their favorite color? Least favorite?
Nor's favorite color is a bright azure blue. Her least favorite is probably a dull black.

10. What is a book that changed their life?
Nor doesn't have much time for reading--she's too busy, but there is a book she read as an older child that had a huge impact on her. It was in her childhood home's attic, and it was a short memoir by one of her ancestors that detailed how they challenged their family's expectations. It gave her confidence and made her able to stand up to her parents when she had to.

Well, I hope you guys liked this! I learned a little bit more about Nor myself while writing this! If you're interested in participating in Beautiful People, don't forget to click on my links, and if you're interested in Nor and haven't checked out my other blog posts about my characters and Orthion, click on these links:

What's In the Works #2
Beautiful People #20: Appearance Edition
Beautiful People #19: July Edition
Beautiful People Childhood Edition
Interview w/Ashlin Atrimife
Beautiful People May

So, do you guys have any questions about my characters and their world?
Are you guys freaking out about NaNoWriMo approaching?
--Reike

Comments

  1. Your character sound so interesting! I love how her name has a special meaning. I did my own version of BP too, it's just such a good linkup, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's mostly because I'm obsessed with languages, and I created my own. ;) Yeah, I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment