Beautiful Books 2016: Introduce Your Novel


Hello writerlings! I am participating in Beautiful Books, Sky and Cait's linkup for NaNoWriMo. And simultaneously freaking out, but you guys don't need to know that ;). If you want to learn more or you want to participate, click on the links to Sky and Cait's websites that I placed above. So, onto the questions....

1. What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea? 
Well, I've had the idea for a year or two, ever since I saw this: 
I would just get two cats, personally though.

2. Describe what your novel is about
My novel is about this American-Mexican girl named Lola who moves with her siblings to one of her moms' tiny hometown in Appalachia to finish out high school. She's kind of reluctant to move there, but she quickly makes friends and finds herself liking it there, until her secrets are revealed, which turns people against her. Then, to make matters worse, whispers begin to start about a mysterious Bone Pastor in the woods as people begin to disappear. Unfortunately, someone is pinning evidence on Lola that makes it appear as if she's helping him. She gets kicked out of her house and has to enlist the help of one of her new best friends in order to clear her name. 

3. What is your book's aesthetic?

4. Introduce us to each of your characters!






5. How do you prepare to write?
I didn't use to do this, but now I always outline, even though my stories don't always follow them--at least I have an idea of where I'm going. I also do a lot of world-building. Then, finally--and this continues while I'm writing--I listen to music.

6. What are you most looking forward to about this novel?
Probably the chance to practice my German, as Dee and Callie's first language, besides Spanish, is German (one of their moms' job is as the Mexican ambassador to Austria). Also, I'm excited to brush up on my mythology and decide what to change/choose. 

7. List 3 Things about your novel's setting
First: in a small town in Appalachia
Second: surrounded by an old-growth forest
Third: full of supernatural beings/people

8. What's your character's goal and who (or what) stands in their way
Her goal is to be accepted and live her life the way she wants to do. At first her parents are standing in the way of that, and then the revealing of her secrets and the disappearances are.

9. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel
She's a lot more confident and assertive, she's matured as a person, and gained life experience and knowledge she didn't have before. 

10. What are your book's themes? How do you want to readers to feel when the story is over? 
Themes: hard goals are worth it, friendship--true friendship--is one of the most important things in the world, magic/power/money can't solve everything, appearances and prejudice are often misleading. 
I want readers to feel angry about the hurtful things people do when they don't understand others, so that they educate themselves and to remember the importance of love and friendship. 



So, what do you guys think about my novel?
 Are you guys participating in NaNoWriMo?
If not, what are you guys writing currently?

Reike





Comments

  1. LOVE your inspiration. We need more asexual characters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to be writing in THREE languages in this book? Lord, you're brave. It looks like you've really thought out and planned this well in advance. Best of luck in Nano!

    Elisabeth @ Inkspelled Faery

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually won't be using a lot of Spanish in this book because, as Callie & Dee have lived in Austria for a while, German is the language they've used the most. I love languages, so I'm really looking forward to doing this; it'll be a fun challenge. Yeah, I've had this in my head for a while. Thanks for your wishing of luck. Best of luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment