September Story: A Wrap Up


So, inspired by everyone else, I have decided to do a monthly wrap up. And yes, I realize that it is now October 2nd. I've been busy. Speaking of which...


1. What I have been doing this past month, and why I haven't been posting a lot
This month has been much busier than I expected. School has really gotten going, and I have a TON of homework most days, and when I've finished, all I've wanted to do is fall into bed. Along with that, my outside of school activities have increased, which is good, since they are providing me with a leadership opportunity, but also bad because I have no time. Finally, in my limited free time I have been trying to work on Shattered Glass, and start figuring out my NaNoWriMo project for this year so I can actually try to accomplish something this time. Now, enough about busyness.

2. What I've been reading

I read quite a number of books this past month, but these five are my favorite and most memorable of the many. 



One: Alexander Hamilton, by Rob Chernow. As many of you may know, this is the book that inspired Lin-Manuel Miranda to make Hamilton. I haven't actually finished it yet, but it is utterly fascinating. There are so many little interesting tidbits and hilarious passage, You can really tell Chernow both did his research and cares about his subject. It is a bit of a monster book (750+ pages!) but it is totally worth reading, especially if you love Hamilton, and want to know more about the real individual behind the musical. 

Two: Hamilton: The Revolution, by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCarter.  This is basically a companion to the musical. And it is wonderful. It gives you all the background to the making of the musical and the songs. But the best part of them is the format. The chapters are written in 18th century pamphlet format, which basically summarizes the entire chapter in the title. In addition, Miranda has these little footnotes attached to the lyrics of the songs, which are alternately amusing and informative. The only problem for me is that it makes me want to watch the musical even more!


Three: The Stolen Child, by Keith Donohue. This one is kind of creepy. It takes the idea of changelings and what they do, and makes them more adult and disturbing. It's a really intriguing book nonetheless. It's narrated from the viewpoint of two different boys; one taken by the changelings, and the changeling that took his place. One of the things I like about it is the fact that the author is just vague enough that you can't tell exactly where or when the story takes places, which, for me helps make it spookier and more real. It's definitely a good fall-slash-rainy day book, although I wouldn't recommend necessarily reading it right before bed if you have a vivid imagination (this is from experience ;) ). 

Four: Arrow's Fall, by Mercedes Lackey. This is a reread for me. It is also the final book in a trilogy, so I'd recommend reading the first two books (Arrows of the Queen and Arrow's Flight) first. I love this author, and this is actually one of her first books. It's set in a medieval world, although not one we'd necessarily recognize, because women have a heck of a lot more rights. This particular story is about war, betrayal, loss, and the gaining of maturity. It's a wonderfully well-written story that is able to slip effortlessly between viewpoints and draws people in. I got so attached to the characters by the time I finished this series for the first time. If you are a fantasy fan, it's definitely worth reading. 

Five: Lady Midnight, by Cassandra Clare. This is also a reread. Though this is a continuation in some ways of her Mortal Instruments series, it can be read as a standalone. You don't really need to know anything about her other books. The major characters are different, she lays out the world and its rules for you, and it has its own plot. Every time I read this book, I am amazed at the dexterity with which she weaves everything together and develops her plot twists. It is very well-written, flowing extremely well as she skillfully pulls at your heartstrings and makes you laugh, sometimes simultaneously. 

3. What Am I Watching? 
I don't actually watch TV that much, but when I do, I get really attached to my TV shows. Here are my current obsessions: 


I really, really like this. It's funny, it's done pretty well, and it has a young Nathan Fillion!

This is a crime show based on a book series that is about a Wyoming sheriff. It's really good, with intriguing and flawed characters who you love anyways.
THIS IS FANTASTIC! I actually just finished season two, which is the last one out right now, although season three, episode 1 is coming out really soon. 
I don't watch this as much as I used to, but I still love the characters. Tony, Ziva, McGee, Gibbs, Abby, Fornell, Ducky, Palmer...

4. What Am I Listening To?
I have a fairly eclectic music taste, and basically listen to everything. But lately I've really been loving: 

Mika: A Lebanese-American pop singer. Here's one of my favorites of his songs: 

 Good Guys

Leaves' Eyes: a Norwegian-German symphonic metal band. Some of my favorites of their songs are Krakevisa and Skraelings

Lindsey Stirling: a violinist, a really fantastic one. One of my favorites of hers is this:  Shatter Me

and Nightwish, a metal group. Here's one of my favorites of theirs: 

 Nemo





So, what did you guys think of my wrap-up? What are you guys listening to or watching lately?
Is school getting overwhelming for you guys as well? 










Comments

Popular Posts