Beautiful Books 2016: Bone Pastor Update


Hello guys! Sorry I haven't posted in while, I've been really busy with NaNo and other things. Speaking of NaNo, I'm going to tell you about some of my progress so far through this linkup hosted by Cait and Sky. So, here we go:

1. Overall, how is your mental state, and how is your novel going? 

My mental state...hahaha. Very stressed and overwhelmed, although that is not purely due to NaNo, although NaNo certainly isn't helping. So, basically normal. But my novel is going pretty well, knock on wood. I have two chapters and 6290 words, and I didn't even write on the 1st. I might not win, but I feel pretty good about my progress so far. Haven't hit a roadblock so far, and I know the direction the story will go in. 

2. What's your first sentence (or paragraph)?

Staring out the car window, I sighed. I still didn’t understand why Mami and Mom had decided we needed to move to the middle of nowhere in the States. But, despite my annoyance, I couldn’t help enjoying the view that met my eyes. The colorful trees were like explosions of paint; like a Jackson Pollock painting. And the mountains reminded me of the foothills of the Alps. I was almost able to lose myself in imagining what kind of artwork I could make here when my little sister’s voice interrupted my thoughts.

3. Who's your current favourite character in your novel?
So, um it's actually a character that I haven't yet written, only talked about. He is a Catholic priest who is the childhood best friend of one of my other characters. His name is Father Aloysius, and he is going to play a fairly big role, and I only thought of him yesterday. 

4. What do you love about your novel so far? 
That it is going in unexpected directions without messing up my general outline. 

5. Have you made any hilarious typos or mistakes? 
I don't know how hilarious it is, but I give you: insulr and rhe. The result of typing fast when you don't know how to type fast. 

6. What is your favorite to write: beginning, middle, or end--and why?
I love all of them, but I think middle is my favorite at the moment, because it's when you really get into the meat of the story after building it up. 

7. What are your writing habits? Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? What time of day do you write best? 
I tend to ignore people and forget to eat or drink. I usually try to have water next to me though. I always listen to music, usually an eclectic mix of country, Celtic, metal, rock, alternative, alternative classical, and pop. 

8. How private are you about your novel while you're writing? Do you need a cheer squad, or do you work alone (like, ahem, Batman)? 
Fairly private with non-writerly people. If I mention it or show it to others, it's usually vague, research related, or in pieces. I am definitely more like Batman. If people are cheering me on in person, it makes me uncomfortable. 

9. What keeps you writing even when it's hard? 
The knowledge that if I don't get through it now, it's going to be harder later. Also, if I get through the hard part, then it will be fun. 

10. What are your top 3 pieces of writing advice? 
One: Always keep going. It will pay off. Even if you never publish it, you will gain experience and the feeling of accomplishment. 

Two: Editing can be fun. I know, it doesn't sound like it, and sometimes it can be painful, but you feel really good knowing that you made your story better. Not to mention, it means you can make your witty phrases even wittier and make yourself sound smarter. 

Three: Always, always plan, even if it's vague. It will help you keep on track. You can pants most of it, but it's harder to pants an entire plot, and if you don't set out a vague outline, you may lose interest or momentum. 

So, what did you guys think?
Do you agree or disagree with my advice?
Do you have any advice of your own to give? 
What keeps you guys writing? 


Comments

  1. I can't imagine to forget to eat when I'm writing. Nothing makes me feel like chomping on some food like working on writing. :)
    And yes, I agree with your first bit of writing advice. Just like you don't keep all of the math homework you did in school, you don't need to keep everything you write. (Except it is fun to look back on!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's a habit I'm trying to get rid of. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts