October Story: A Wrap Up


I really need to start doing these things closer to the actual end of the month, but I have the sinking feeling that that will be an unrealized dream for quite a while. Unless, out of the blue I have a non-busy day with the right timing. Yeah, that's going to happen (LOL). So, let's see....

1. What have I been doing this month? 
Hmm. Busy with school stuff still. Doing NaNo Prep. Freaking out about NaNo. Wishing I was more active on social media, then being glad I'm not. Then kicking myself for not being more active (It's an endless cycle). Freaking about the upcoming election...well, at least it's almost over (or should I be worried). Oh, yes, and celebrating Halloween. I have way too much candy right now. And finally, being glad that it finally feels like fall most of the time. 

2. What I've Been Reading

One: Alexander Hamilton, by Rob Chernow. Yeah, I still haven't finished it, mostly because it's such a monster of a book, and I have limited amounts of time. I still think it's fantastic, and you should read it. If you want more of a blurb about it, check out this link.


Two: I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou. This was amazing. It was so well-written, and invoked so many emotions within me. This is a memoir by her, describing her own childhood. It is the first book of hers I have read, though, like many, I have read some of her poetry. This book made me think about a lot of different things, taught me about the mid-20th century from a viewpoint I haven't really seen before, and made me self-analyze my viewpoints and opinions. Like any good book, it allows the author to express what they need or want to, and affects the reader in more than one way. This is a book everyone should read. 


Three: The Winter Witch, by Paula Brackston. This is a fantasy novel set in 19th century Wales, about a witch named Morgana and her husband Cai, and their struggles in their life together. It is a really good and interesting book. One thing to know before you read it, however, is that it switches between Morgana's first person POV and her husband's third-person POV. It takes a little while to get used to, but it works. I have Welsh ancestry, but I don't know that much about Wales, so this was a nice way to learn more, especially during the 19th century. The author herself is a Welshwoman. It's a terrific book about dealing with hate, intolerance, and other people's perceptions of you, as well as painting a picture of how people can make a marriage work. 


Four: Towards The Other America: Anti-Racist Resources For White People Taking Action For Black Lives Matter, by Chris Crass. I haven't actually finished this yet. I got it this summer at a convention of sorts. I've found it to be very helpful in helping me to be more aware, and in learning what I can do. As the title says, it provides us white people with resources on learning more about Black Lives Matter and anti-racism, as well as suggesting what we can do with/once we have that information. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more/wants to help, but doesn't know where to start (like me). 

3. What Am I Watching? 
Let's see, my current obsessions are...


A TV show about Mary, Queen of Scots's younger years. Though it is fictionalized, it is quite good, with a considerable amount of accuracy where it counts. The actors are very good, and some of them you might have seen elsewhere: Anna Popplewell, Megan Follows, Alan van Sprang, and others. I actually started watching this a while ago, lost interest, then came back to it.


You've already seen me talking about this, and if you haven't, here's the link.

Honestly, that's kind of it. I haven't really had time for TV lately. Although, I have been watching Mysteries of Laura and NCIS with my family occasionally.

4. What am I listening to? 
 Ok, here's what I'm into lately:

Heather Dale, a Canadian alternative folk singer; here's one of her songs:
Trail of Tears

Carrie Underwood, a popular country singer; here's one of my favorites of hers: 

 Church Bells

Lindsey Stirling, a violinist, here's one of my favorites of hers: 

 Shatter Me, Ft. Lzzy Hale

and finally, Lady Antebellum, a country group, here's a favorite of mine of theirs: 

 Bartender


What do you guys think of my wrap-up? 
What are you guys listening to? Watching? Reading?

Comments

Popular Posts