Book-Based Name Loves


Sorry for not posting much lately, but I've been so slammed with school work and midterms that I've had no time for anything not school-related. But, I was looking at Ellie's post about bookish name crushes, which she got from Aine, and I decided to talk about a few of mine as well. So here they are: 


Collegium Chronicles and Herald Spy by Mercedes Lackey: Amily is this awesome, intelligent, independent and warm-hearted character, with a beautiful name. I believe the author made it up, but it looks and sounds like Amelie or Emily. 


Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer: In this series, Artemis is borne by the morally ambiguous MC, who is a guy. Even though Artemis is the name of a female goddess, the name itself is more gender-neutral. I love this name because of the fascinating character, and the badass goddess who originally carried it. 


The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker: Chava in this book is the name of the titular Golem. The name Chava itself is Hebrew, and means 'to live' or 'to breath', which seems a particularly appropriate name for a golem. I  love Chava because of its meaning and the way it sounds when said aloud. 


The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare: Gideon is one of the major characters in this book, and his name just seems to feel right. I really love this name because of the kind-hearted and awkwardly affectionate character who bears it, as well as the nice sound of the name itself. Gideon is a Hebrew name meaning 'hewer' or 'feller'. 


Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare: Kieran is a misguided, tenderhearted, guarded, overprotective soul, and I love him. His name is one of my favorites as well, particularly because I have a friend who shares his name (disclaimer: they are otherwise nothing alike), but this book made me love this name more. Kieran has a good meaning and origin too: it's Anglicized Irish of Ciar, which means black, which if you've read the book, might make the character's name seem even more fitting. 


The Parasol Protectorate, Custard Protocol, Finishing School, and Romancing the Werewolf by Gail Carriger: Lyall is a lovely, intellectual, ruthless, and effacing werewolf. I love him so much, and his surname just as much. Lyall is a rare English surname that probably means wolf. Even though it's used on a male character in Gail Carriger's writing, Lyall has always struck me as a gender-neutral name. 


Finishing School and Poison or Protect by Gail Carriger: Ever since I've read Etiquette & Espionage, I've loved this character's name, but I didn't like the character herself until I read Poison or Protect. But her name is simply fantastic, although I can't figure out its meaning or where it comes from. 


Magic's Price and Winds of Fury by Mercedes Lackey: Stefen is a major character in the first book I mentioned, and he can be the utter epitome of starving artist/absentminded genius, and is a very endearing character. His name, is, I believe, a version of Stefan/Stephen/Stephan/etc., all meaning 'crown'. 


Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare: Tiberius, nicknamed Ty, is an awesome, fairly major character in this series. He is really smart, curious,loves computers, and is autistic. The author, to me, seems to portray him well, perhaps falling into some stereotypes, but does a good job over all at making him a nuanced, fully-fleshed character (disclaimer: I can't be sure if she messed up/did anything problematic as I don't have a lot of knowledge about/experience with autism). But, on to the character's name. I love his name and nickname, although his full name is somewhat unfortunate: Tiberius Nero Blackthorn. As one of the other characters has said, it's akin to naming him 'Magnificent Bastard'. I didn't really love this name at first, but it has grown on me. Tiberius is a Roman name meaning 'of the Tiber'. 


Circle of Magic, Shatterglass, and The Will of the Empress by Tamora Pierce: Tris is a main character in all of these books. I like her and her name so much because she reminds me of myself: glasses, bookworm, socially awkward when younger, stubborn, hot-tempered (when people are mean to her or her family). I also love her name because of its sound, and two easy nicknames: Tris and Sana. I believe this name is made up by the author. 

Sorry I've been gone so long, guys. 
What do you think of my choices? 
What are your favorite book-inspired names? 
Reike

Comments

  1. Ahh I love names too and I get name crushes ALL THE TIME. And I didn't realise Ty's middle name was Nero...and now "Magnificent Bastard" is like my favourite thing omg I'm definitely going to remember that. <3 (Also he was a super good rep of Autism in case you're wondering...I have Autistic relatives and it was so exciting to see an epic ASD representation that wasn't cliche or tropey. :D) And YES I also love Stefan and Artemus.

    I fell in love with the name Sean after reading The Scorpio Races and I'm sooooo fond of the name Petey for a girl after reading Bone Gap!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get name crushes all the time too. 'Magnificent Bastard' is the best, isn't it. I'm glad he was a good rep; it can be really painful for people to see cliched or stereotyped representation, especially if it's the only rep present at all (talking only from the viewpoint of a queer person), so I'm glad she didn't do that. I see we prefer different spellings of those names, though I love those versions as well.

    I love Sean! I can't see Petey on a girl, but I can see Petra on a boy.
    Thanks for stopping by, Cait!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts