Beautiful Books--2017 Writing Goals


Hello, guys! Today I'm participating in this month's Beautiful Books, a link up hosted by Skye @ Further Up and Further In and Cait @ Paper Fury. If you don't know what Beautiful Books is, and would like to know, check out the prior links to Cait and Skye's sites. 

So, this month the theme is writing goals for the new year. Without further ado, here are my answers to their questions. 

1. What were your writing achievements last year? 
I started 2 new WIPs, and finished part of a long-term one, as well as started working on the next part of the said long-term one (in case anyone who's been reading for a while is wondering, I'm talking about Poisoned Hearts and Shattered Glass). I also wrote more poetry and wrote one short story. And I participated in NaNo. 

2. What's on your writerly 'to do list' for 2017?
Finish the first draft of one of my new WIPs
Finish the first draft of Shattered Glass
Start writing the next book after Shattered Glass
Improve my writing skills 
Edit 
I think that's about it, at least for now. 


3. Tell us about your top-priority writing projects for this year!
Top priorities are probably The Bone Pastor, one of my new WIPs, and Shattered Glass. The Bone Pastor is a fantasy set on earth in a small little town that my main character moves to finish high school. If you want to know more, click here. It was also my NaNo project. Shattered Glass is the second book in a medievalish fantasy world; two sides are fighting a war that started because of secrets, either kept or told. 

4. How do you hope to improve as a writer? Where do you you see yourself at the end of 2017? 
I hope to learn better writing skills, and get more writing experience. At the end of 2017, I hope to end up with good enough writing products that I feel like I can send some to beta readers. 

5. Describe your general editing process
Well...first I read through whatever I'm editing, and then I get myself back on track. I then start looking for grammar mistakes, missing words, plot holes/mess-ups, or other inconsistencies. I mark/correct what I find with some type of pen. Then, when I've gone through the whole chapter, half of the work, or sometimes the entire work, I start typing in my corrections, 

6. On a scale of 1-10, how do you think this draft turned out? 
Well, I'm currently not finished with all of the drafts that I'm working on, but thinking back to the most recent draft of Poisoned Hearts (which I've put down until I finish the overarching story-line), I'd rate it at about a seven--it's pretty good, I feel like I've made progress, but it still needs a lot of work.

7. What aspect of your draft needs the most work?
The parts where I messed up worldbuilding elements, the sheer amount of words from my language that I put in, and a couple plot mess-ups/stuff I need to rearrange. 

8. What do you like most about your draft? 
The fact that I finished it! (I'm serious. I've been working on it for three years, and I finally have a semi-finished product.) Also, I love all of my characters and making them go through things. I am also really happy that I'm writing a fantasy with LGBT+ characters and other minorities. I love typical 'high fantasy', but it's always been so white cis straight male focused, and it can be harder to find ones that aren't, so I wrote this story/series. And I really like where it's going. 

9. What are your plans for this novel once you finish editing? More edits? Finding beta readers? Querying? Self-publishing? Hiding it in a dark hole forever?
Once I finish all the editing--which isn't going to happen for a while--I will probably find beta readers, sensitivity readers, and after that, I might start querying it. 

10. What's your top piece of advice for those just finished writing a first draft? 
Congratulate yourself, then get down to editing. And don't feel bad/reluctant about editing. You're making your book even better, plus you get to decide what exactly is going to happen. 


Hey guys!
How are you? 
Anyone else really busy or stressed out?
Back to writing questions:
What are you guys working on? 
Anyone further along in the writing/authoring process who can give advice? 
Any new projects? 
Reike


Comments

  1. Oh good luck with these fantastic goals! Looks like you have a busy writing year ahead of you, too!! *hi fives* I plan to get really busy with drafting and editing too. It should be fun, eeep, just so long as I don't get bogged down howling about how hard edits are.😂 I love your advice for #10. BEST OF LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts