Hidden Figures: Part the First


Well, first post of the new year, and boy am I happy to write it. Today I'll be reviewing the movie Hidden Figures. I know many of you reading this have probably already seen it or heard of it, but for those of you who haven't, Hidden Figures is a movie about three of the African-American women who played a part in getting the US up to speed in the space race against the USSR. 

The three women who are the primary characters are: Mary Jackson (played by Janelle Monae), Katherine Johnson (played by Taraji P. Henson), and Dorothy Vaughan (played by Octavia Spencer). All three of these women are brilliant and ambitious, and all around fantastic people, who face many hurdles on their way to success. All three of them are mothers and regular churchgoers, along with being successful careerwomen in the early '60s. 

I loved this movie. I was emotionally invested the entire time, as well as being intellectually fascinated. I don't even like math or space, and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. 

Without giving too much away, the premise of the movie is one you probably know--or think you know--already. The Soviet Union has already gotten people into space, and the US is racing to catch up. In three different ways, Mary, Katherine, and Dorothy all help the program succeed using their mathematical skills, earning the respect and appreciation of their white (and largely male) colleagues along the way. Although, as I'm sure you all know, it wasn't as easy as that, with the trials of segregation and other overt examples of racism and sexism.  Besides the larger, overall plot, the movie shows us parts of the three women's home lives and family, which provides a better look into their characters, and the events of the time along with their effects on a personal level. 

I liked this movie better than any I've seen in a while, and I feel like its release time is unfortunately particularly apt, because in some ways it feels like history is repeating itself. You know what my favorite thing about this movie was, though? Well, I have multiple favorites, but I was extremely glad that this was based on reality. Sure, it was fictionalized, but Dorothy, Mary, and Katherine are real people, who actually did these things. Some of the scenes in the movie also reflect actual things said or events that happened. 

I really hope that everybody who can checks out this movie, because it is amazing. I will leave you guys with two of my favorite scenes from the movie: 

 



Have any of you guys seen this movie?
What did you think?
What are your favorites things about it?
Favorite scenes? 
Part the second of this will show up as soon as I read the book


Comments

Popular Posts