Everything I Never Told You: A Book Review


Hi everybody. I'm planning to do more regular updates this summer, but we'll see. I loved this book, it was wonderfully written, but I need to add a content warning at the beginning of this review.
Content Warning: This book contains a mention of suicide, and shows a small amount of physical abuse.

Everything I Never Told You is a story about how a family in small-town Ohio deals with grief, death, and disappointments. The book is set in the mid-to-late-1970s.

Marilyn and James Lee are an interracial couple with three children, Nathan "Nath", Lydia, and Hannah. Both parents faced disappointments and barriers in their lives. James, as a first generation Chinese-American kid dealt with racism and all the issues associated with that. Marilyn, as a woman, dealt with sexism and the loss of her dreams to be a doctor.

When the story starts, however, both parents and their children seem to have dealt with their issues, or managed to ignore or put up with them. But the death of Lydia, the middle child, shows how fragile the peace of the family is. Her siblings and parents all deal in different ways, tearing the family apart. In the end, they manage to heal, but it is a struggle, and nothing is ever the same.

I found this book to be exceptionally well-written and engaging. The author explained where all the major characters were coming from, and why they behaved the way they did. She wove all of their disparate perspectives together in a way that made sense for the most part. I was pulled in from the first word, and could not put it down.

The only thing that really bothered me about this book was the switching between time periods. The way the author decided to jump from one period of time to another when changing perspectives could get a little disorienting and confusing occasionally.

I really enjoyed reading this book, even though--or maybe because it made my heart hurt for each of the characters and angry for some of them as well. I hope this review isn't too short for you guys, and interested you in this book.

Is everyone excited for summer? 
What are you guys reading?
Did anyone read this and have a completely different reaction? 
Tell me in the comments!
Reike

Comments

Popular Posts